Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday? Again?

Something so exciting has happened. Her name is *. She is the most adorable, cute thing I have ever seen. She is from * and we met on the bus maybe my first week here. It was pretty much a miracle because Norwegian is a second language for both of us. I don't even remember what I said...but I remember it was maybe two or three sentences and then I asked if I could call her and tell her more. For some reason, she quickly gave me her number. It took us a little while to be able to meet with her, but this last week was so amazing because we saw her 3 times. She can't really explain why she came and why she keeps coming because she had not a single belief in God. We teach everything really slow. We started with the existence of Heavenly Father and prayer. On her second time she tried praying...It was the most genuine prayer I've ever heard. I look forward to the days we meet with her. I feel like meeting with * is one of the evidences that there is something more involved in the work here. I can go out and try my best to tell people about God, but most people here don't have a belief. With some people we say hardly anything and they are ready to come learn more. I know I couldn't convert anyone one my own, so I don't try. We meet with them to give them the Book of Mormon and send them on their way to figure it out for themselves. There is a lot of power in that book, because it all depends on whether or not it is true. There are a lot of places to go for information, but why not the source? Reading the Book or Mormon changed my understanding of who God is and why it is important to believe in him. If you haven't lately, read the Book of Mormon.  

Søster J. laughs at me because it is easy to see the strongest part of my testimony. I know that Heavenly Father loves me. Everyone we meet and talk with gets to hear it from me. The thing is, it is the only thing I need to know. If God loves me then I can trust him with whatever else. 

Speaking of Søster J., I thought sister missionaries were supposed to be weird, but she's not. Unless you think I'm weird, because we are alike in many ways. I know I said in my last letter how much I appreciated her, but it true. We were instant friends and keep each other laughing. Mostly, we are both honest with each other and really care about each other. She really gets me thinking about why I am here and who I want to be, and she pushes me. She told me when I first got here that we were going to have so many appointments that we were not even going to have time to contact. I did not believe her. But I think we had 1 hour to contact in the last 5 days. And I missed it. I really did. That one hour was glorious. It was pouring rain, but it was a warm rain. There was some music playing really loud and lots of people were out (ha ha, in fact the song ''Have you ever seen the rain'' started playing. Sister J. and I just laughed). I had one of those moments where I was doing exactly what I wanted to be doing, and loving it. As I stopped people to talk to them I just realized how lucky I was to get to go out and meet so many people in one day. I instantly can tell so much about them as we start talking, and I quickly start to care a lot about everyone I talk to, even if it is just for a minute or two. It is funny because Trondheim is pretty small. I already recognize people when I go out, and even more people recognize me. I started contacting a college age boy at the bus stop the other day, and as we started talking I realized that I had spoken to him a day or two before. I asked him if I had talked to him and he laughed and said I had. Pretty funny. 

Time really started taking off. I feel like last Monday was just a few days ago. The only time I am homesick is in the morning when I blow-dry my hair. That is a boring task that leaves me with nothing but time to think. I think it is interesting the way when you are away from home certain foods are suddenly the best thing you have ever tried. In Chile it was peanuts, in Mexico it was mangos (understandable), but here in Norway it is raisins. I hated everything about a raisin four months ago, now I can't get enough. 

* is still going to be baptised, but she changed her date to accommodate for family members. I love seeing the change that has come over her. I arrived in Norway when she had been taught twice. She was quiet and unsure and was uncomfortable with many things. Now I watch her as she easily makes friends with everyone in the church and talks and laughs openly with her. I've really seen her find happiness. I love hearing her talk about Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon. I just know it really means a lot to her. She is so dedicated. We see her often, almost everyday. She takes the train to get to the church to meet with us, 1 hour each way. She has even started coming to institute and FHE. We had a member middag this past week with her and some members here. One of my favorite things has always been good food and good people, and there isn't a shortage of that on a mission. We get to sit around the table and talk about things we love and things we think are important. Being a missionary is amazing.

I'm getting made fun of right now because I don't like cheesy poetry that rhymes. I refuse to read it. Ha ha ha. 

Diana: Love you and your soon to be married face. Your letters made me happy. Thanks for not forgetting to send me an invite. I'll think of you on your big day. I have the best girl-friends in the whole world. 

Everyone Else: I love you, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment