Monday, June 13, 2011

30 C

 I must be past the deer-in-the-headlights phase because this week my personality really came back. I don't think Søster J really knew what to do with me. I kept cracking jokes that I thought were really funny and dancing all the time. I'm really grateful I'm starting to feel so comfortable and I'm getting used to the fact that you never know what is going to happen in a day, even though you have every hour of the day planned. Oh the joys of missionary work.

Søster J and I made a goal to read The Book of Mormon in 14 days. We wake up early and read, read in personal study, and a little in companion study. We are both pretty quick readers and are even ahead of schedule. I don't want to stop and am sad when we study something else. Reading it so fast has been super helpful in getting a better understanding of how incredible complex that book is. It is incredible. It also makes it pretty hard when all you want people to do is to read it, and they won't. What is so scary about a book anyway? We go out to try and get people to take a free copy of a book and read it, and with some people you couldn't even pay them to take the book. Interesting it is. I'm so grateful to be here. You learn a lot about people and about yourself.   

I was lucky last week because it was warm. More then warm, it was even hot. Maybe one of the warmest days this city has ever seen. I'm talkin 30 C. *, the Branch Secretary who never leaves the church, came to get us to make us look at the thermometer because it never happens. He was so excited and his eyes were so big as he told us how it was such an amazing day. 30 C. I laughed a little as I thought about how different things really get us excited depending on what we're used to. For me, when we drive out of the city into the country side I can't stop talking about how beautiful the white houses and red barns are against the green grass. They must have known something about complementary colors. * laughed and said it is good that I point it out, because he doesn't even notice it anymore. I hate cities, I'm my father's daughter and a country girl at heart.  

Another random thing, I never thought I would play so much volleyball on my mission. We play on P days, Saturdays, YA activities and who knows when else. I wouldn't be surprised if I was maybe a little bit decent by the time I get home. I've already made improvements. But you should see my companion. She knows how to spike the ball and could even throw a football further and with a better spiral than any of the Elders.  

Finally, if I spell prophet p-r-o-f-e-t it is because I'm thinking in Norwegian. If I spell it any other way, yes I'm an English major that can't spell. But that isn't a huge surprise...  : 

1 comment: