Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'm alive and in the MTC

Dear Family and Friends,
Hi! I think some people have been wondering if I am still at the MTC or in Norway. I'm still in the good ole' MTC. It is interesting because I really have no idea what is going on or how long we will be here. I don't like it because if I wasn't in the MTC I could get on the phone and figure it out, but as it is I can only hope that everyone who needs to be is diligently doing their job. Hopes are we will leave Friday, but that hasn't been the first time we have been told we will leave by a certain day.
It hasn't been bad being here more time. I have learned even more about the gospel and Norwegian. We also got to meet the next district of Norwegian missionaries, 9 in all. It is pretty crazy because we only had 4 in our district. There are 2 sisters, which is exciting because we will certainly be companions sometime in the future. I think there are almost as many Norwegian sisters here as in Norway. Anyway, it was funny to see them come in with big, worried eyes. And I love hearing them try to speak Norwegian because I know I sounded just like them when I first got here, and I'm sure I still sound pretty weird. The 1 Elder who is here with us had to go and get a solo sticker. He is a good sport, laughs, and says the church is still true even if he has two sisters for companions. Having companions can be difficult, but I'm grateful them because we are united in purpose and understand pretty well how the others are feeling. I usually tend to like doing things on my own, so it has been a pretty big adjustment. You do a lot of waiting as a missionary, especially when there are 3 of you.
We were, however, very lucky to have another apostle come last night. Elder Andersen. One thought hit me while he was teaching. I'm not sure how related it was to his message, but it was the message I got; those messages usually mean more. I have always had this fear that I won't live up to my full potential. I've always made goals and strived to achieve them. I work hard. (I've noticed since being at the MTC that I have a unique ability to read and study for hours on end without getting terribly sick of it. Apparently this isn't common.) But still, I worry I might miss something and I won't live up to...or become what i could have become. Elder Andersen talked about the grace of God. Three beautiful words. I always understood the grace of God to be a divine help and strength. Yesterday, my understanding was expanded. What I learned is that it is by the grace of God that I have the opportunity to become more than I have the capacity to become on my own. I believe that and I'm thankful for that. I must work my hardest and do all I can, but I can have the assurance that I can become more than even I hoped to become. As I put my trust in my loving Heavenly Father, I see myself grow and improve each day. Not in the ways I always thought I wanted, but in the ways I know are best. I thankful for the person Heavenly Father helps me become. (I literally just opened my scriptures to this page...I hadn't read this scripture this week nor was I planning on including it. It only fits oh so perfect. 1 Corinthians 1:4-8).
I've also learned more about goal making since being here. It is important to prayerfully make goals with the guidance of the spirit. we tell Heavenly Father what it is we want to do. Then we make a plan to do it. If we made the goal with the spirit and it is righteous, Heavenly Father will most certainly help us achieve that goal. Divine help for the things that matter most to us is always available. I like that. It is kinda like we make a promise to God that we will do the thing we have decided we want to do and he promises he will help us. This must be why with God all things are possible.
Wow, how was that for an e-mail? I used my journal, so I hope you enjoyed the increased insight into my brain.
I was really bummed that I didn't get to call home on Mothers Day. I hope you all had a good celebration. We didn't talk too much about it here, so people wouldn't get homesick I think. Maybe, if your lucky, I'll be able to call on Fathers Day. I know my dad would love that.
I love you all so much! I'm so grateful for all the good influences and support that I have. I miss you!
Love always,
Katie Bug
P.S. My dad sends me e-mails from his iPhone while he is in bishopric meeting, just to tell me he is sending me an e-mail during bishopric meeting. Isn't he funny?

1 comment: