Monday, May 16, 2011

First few days...

Hello Home.

I guess I send you(pl) all an  update on how I'm doing. I am doing really well. Today I don't have much more than half an hour, so I'll just write as much as I can. I think my favorite thing that has happened so far was my plane ride from Texas to London. Heavenly Father must answer prayers because I sat next to someone born and raised in Mexico but currently living in Italy. During the plane ride we talked about why I was going to Norway, which led to a discussion about what make the LDS church different. It was a really incredible talk and I am so grateful that I got to met him (we'll just call him Juan). I told him about the BoM and we read from the introduction together. I told him about Joseph Smith and used the picture from my gospel principles book. Well, he just kept asking questions and I kept answering them. We talked about everything, 9 hours is a long plane ride. We talked about temples, baptism, family, profets, priesthood, marriage, all of it. My favorite part might have been when we were looking through the last edition of the conference Ensign together, because as I showed him picture of Thomas Monson he took the magazine and started reading it. He read 1 whole talk and the closing remarks by Monson. I told him as a missionary we give the Book of Mormon to people and he said he would like to have one. I had one Spanish copy in my carry-on, so I gave it to him. It was my personal copy, so it was highlighted and written all over, but he said he didn't mind. I also gave him a copy of the Ensign since he seemed to like it so much. He gave me his card with his name and number and e-mail and told me if I needed anything while I was in Europe I just needed to write him and he would take care of it. He was kjempe nice. Finding people who are willing to listen has got to be the best part. 

Norway is beautiful. Really green. It reminds me of Virginia only there is more water. I'm in Trondheim right now, and my companion is now sister Johnston. I love how as a missionary you get on a plane with a complete stranger, yet you know you can count on them to help take care of you and be your best friend for the next few months. 

Yesterday we went to church. I love all the people here. Church was really great. I'm in love with the Norwegian old people because they look like they just fell out of an old murder mystery or maybe they own a funeral parlor. I'm not sure if that really makes sense. There is one in particular that has my whole heart, but I can't remember his name because I heard 2 trillion names yesterday, none of which I've really heard before. The church is old and pretty, and so far we spend a lot of time here. It has a room where we can teach in and is close to us, so we use it often. I'm still meeting the investigators that we have later today. 

I'm certain that this will be a bigger adjustment than the MTC was, but I figure the quicker and harder I jump into it the quicker the adjustment period will go, because I don't like adjustment periods. I did, however, eat a boiled egg today. I'm glad some things never change. 

I love you.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment