Monday, July 25, 2011

I'm safe!

In case  you haven't heard...I'm safe! I was worried about my poor dad who said that at least he would have to worry about me in Norway. Norway has really been affected by what happened last week. You can feel it out in the streets and when you go in to people's houses. The news is always on. This is a safe country where nothing this violent ever happens. As a missionary I don't see any news about exactly what happened but I hear about it from people and from our leaders. We have a special opportunity to be able to comfort the people here who don't know what to think when something like this happens. Yesterday we were visiting a member and I  shared a little spiritual thought about what I had studied in relation to what happened. We shared it after they had talked about the disaster. I really felt the comfort and love come in as I tried to share something hopeful. I never feel like I do a real good job...but we are qualified in our efforts. That is the most miraculous part. The church was open all day yesterday so people could come in if they wanted. We didn't have very many...but it was neat to have our doors open all day. Also, the church sent a letter to the Norwegian State letting them know that we would be willing to do anything to help. We have been asked to give blood; I'm pretty excited about that. My heart goes out to those who lost a loved one or who where otherwise influenced by what happened. It is a long road to finding a new normal, and even once you found it you never know when it will creep back up again and you'll have to try something new to fill the hole and readjust once more. 

There was a baptism here in Trondheim last week... and we did it in the fjord! V was turning 20 and wanted to be baptised on her birthday and in the fjord, so we did it! It was a really lovely day. It was supposed to rain but it stayed sunny and the fjord is always amazing.  She felt so happy after. Baptism days are the best.  

At the same time my heart is real broken this week. People are just disappearing and it makes it real hard. You open your heart up a lot to these people and when they are suddenly gone it hurts bad, but then you have to do it again and again. I never knew you could meet so many people and make so many friends in such a short amount of time. It will be hard when I have to leave here...and the longer I am here the harder it will be. The city I'm in isn't too big, we talk with so many people that it is pretty common for us to run into at least one person we know when we go out...when we find time to even contact. We are teaching a lot of people now...missionary work comes and goes in waves. Or I guess you could say, when it rains it pours. 

Also, I saw some pictures of my niece and she really grew. I don't feel like I've been gone that long at all, but by the look of those picture I've been gone more than just a few weeks. That time is flying here is real good. It means I'm loving it, and I am. I thought earlier this week that they will have to pull me kicking and screaming away from missionary work...but I have to be honest...when I saw pictures of my family I thought maybe they'll have to pull me away just crying. Is it possible to have them both?

I love the gospel and I love how happy I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment