Sunday, April 24, 2011

7th Inning Stretch

Only 1 1/2 weeks left. I'm so excited to see what else is coming. This has been so good, but everyone says the field is better. Here is what happened this week:

An Elder from Norway with a call to serve his mission in Cali arrived. I, of course, couldn't wait to meet him and try out all the Norwegian I've been learning. I had everyone I know on the hunt to find him for me. It was really exciting to talk to a member from Norway. He is a great kid and listened as we all tried to speak in Norwegian. Now, whenever I see him, I tell him as much as I can in Norwegian--like today I shared with him the most pertinent information that I "had just finished washing my clothes." He just laughs...but I know you have to use the language to learn it so I don't mind.

There are missionaries from all over the world here. We were outside speaking Norwegian and a Dane cam up and told us he could understand everything. Also, when I found a missionary from Germany I said the only thing I know "stick your nose in the corner." He didn't know what to do. It was pretty funny. (Thanks Kinzie and Kev). I wonder how many countries are represented here on any given day. In a meeting on Sunday I leaned over to ask a girl if I could borrow a pen--No English--She was from Ukraine--the next girl over Lativia, the next girl over Lithuania. And I still stalk the Japanese missionaries because they smile so big when I say "Ko-Nee-Chee-Wa."

Elder Scott came to give the Devotional on Tuesday. It was awesome. LDS meetings are never flashy or showy--but they have a way of feeling SO good. I felt a lot of peace as Elder Scott was talking. And although he didn't say a word the whole talk about the atonement, I felt so greatful for the knowledge I have about the atonement and the things it does for me in my life. I love this gospel; I'm so proud to be a member of it.

I've changed a lot since I've been here, but some things never change. (I wanted to share a few because I think those of you who get them will laugh).

1) I still think the egg is the best thing to eat for breakfast.
2) A well-made bed is worth the effort. I get teased by the amount of care I put into it.
3) Showering everyday? Nope.

And a few differences:
1) I'm improving at the piano. That must be another gift of tongues. I'm one of two in the branch that even dabble. I've really had to start playing again. I'm happy it is coming back. (Thanks Cindy).
2) I love the Book of Mormon more and more everyday.
3) I shave my legs every single time I shower. (I know those of you who have heard about Chile were worried).

Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment