Sunday, March 13, 2011

A God what has a body could really listen.

As far as cloistering goes, I'm afraid the MTC is nothing like a real convent would be. I love it here. My companion and the 2 elders going to Norway are, simply put, splendid. My companion is bubbly and talks more than me (is that possible?). Best part, she likes to laugh as much as I do, and, although her laugh isn't as loud as mine is, it is definitely audible. We're very different, but we get along great. The two elders in my district are such small and tender shoots. They want to work really hard and are super dedicated. I had to teach one of my Elders how to do laundry today because he has never lived away from home. I made sure the whole laundry room clapped and cheered as he started his first load. They also like to laugh. The four of us stick pretty close together, even though we don't have to all be together all the time. Our teacher says they usually have to talk about district unity, but it isn't a problem with us. It is hard to be in that small classroom all day, but soon it will warm up and we can study outside.

I love the way we are taught here. I've never been in an environment where I could learn so much in such a short time. IIt is the ideal school. No grades, only intrinsic motivation, but it feels wonderful. I work not for a grade, but for the satisfaction of what I'm learning. I know it should always be that way, but lets be honest. The way they teach is brilliant. I would not believe anyone could learn a language as fast as I feel it happening here. We started having only Norwegian lunches on the fourth day here. We rarely are lectured at but mostly just have open conversations or participate in interesting activities ( and I'm not talking about the human know, because that is lame). I've come to love the art of the question more than ever. We question everything. We ask ourselves questions to understand how we think and view the gospel. It is a super open environment, which I was kinda worried it wouldn't be. And we talk all day long about being honest, sincere, and caring to everyone we meet. I love how they tell us not to teach things we don't understand or feel strongly about. I'm all about being honest.

Last great things? I haven't missed a boiled egg for breakfast since I've been here. They have oatmeal everyday. I can run around the track to my hearts content. There is Yoga, Pilataties, and Kickboxing in the morning. And I get to enjoy the Provo mountains without ever having to really be in Provo.

Note from the Blog Manager (and sister to Katie): in her letters Katie also says she hasn't had much time to write letters yet. Just 22 minutes at the computer the day she wrote this blog post, intended for family and friends. She likes when people write her using DearElder.com because she gets the letters the same day. She has seen a few emails and sent a few, but again, doesn't get much computer time. She also says she there are lots of sweets at the MTC, so don't send her anything sweet. =) Just like her. She told me in her letter, and I quote: "I'm not homesick at all yet--having WAY too much fun." We all miss her though!

Please leave a comment if you are having trouble reaching Katie using DearElder.com and I will assist you!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'm having trouble or not. I'm assuming my letter got through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ask DearElder to send you a copy to your email address, they will. But you know--I wrote twice this week, and from the sounds of Katie's letter today, it seemed like she didn't get the second letter. ??? I have heard some people say they have also wondered if DearElder actually delivered.

    ReplyDelete