Saturday, March 19, 2011

Don't forget to dot your "å's" and cross your "ø's".

Great advice for any Norwegian learner. I'm growing fond of Norwegian, but if I'm being candid I'll have to admit that Spanish still has my whole heart. It is that diminutive "ita" that I miss so bad. Cue track 6 (I think) on that CD I gave you...see what I mean?

But, to be fair, Norwegian does have its bright spots. My favorite? There is no longest word in Norwegian, because they combine words and the possibilities are endless. For example:

førstegangsundervishingavtaleopplevelser

is a 40 letter word which means: 1st time teaching appointment experience. Pretty neat, huh? As a student of Spanish and English, I'm in heaven here. Really, how many times do tenses, clauses, and word agreement really come up out there?

By way of things I've learned: It keeps hitting me this week how our choices always have consequences, but, importantly, those consequences always affect more than just ourselves. I think Ado put it brilliantly when she wrote "It is our individual duty to collectively take care of one another." Part of that individual duty means making choices that will bring good consequences to most people.

Sometimes in line at the grocery store I like to wonder how the person in front of me is affecting me--and how I'm affecting them. This idea becomes intensely clear with a companion. When I make a choice she will always feel the consequences, sometimes even more than I will. We all have responsibility because we are all connected.

END POST.

It is too tempting not to make personal commentary about how Katie is-I get juicy details in her letters. For those of you who are interested, Kate LOVES the MTC and writes about that love in ALL her letters. She loves her companion and thinks they, along with the Elders in her district, make a great team. As another funny side note she would be embarrassed to know I blogged about, Katie wrote in her last letter about how two Elders in the MTC very seriously asked if they could write her throughout her mission, and she commented to me: "I think there are so few girls here the boys are starved..." She doesn't know just how darling she is, does she? Stay tuned for Katie's excellent advice on how to reach teenagers in a Sunday School class.

No comments:

Post a Comment